Sunday, August 3, 2014

Book Launch






There have been times when I thought this moment would never arrive. Now it is only days before Walking the Journey Together… Alone, Finding Peace, Hope, and Joy in the Middle of the Sh** is unveiled to the world.   

A few short years ago, I was forced to deal with the devastating news that my husband, Callum, was going to die.  He held cancer at bay for over two years. It returned with a vengeance. 

Stripped of the hope that he would be cured, I struggled to cope with the fact my husband was dying.  I relied on an old skill – writing. Putting pen to paper was my way of clearing my mind, and the pain in my heart. That was when I created the Walking the Journey Together…Alone blog.
www.calupdate.blogspot.com

Over the next three years I shared my innermost thoughts, questions and feelings.  From the despair of facing becoming a widow, to the excitement and joy of watching Callum hold our first grandson, our story was shared with many people around the world. The itch to write a book was born.

More important than a vehicle to share my feelings, the blog started helping others.  Sometimes it helped them solve a practical problem, and sometimes it helped them feel like someone else finally understood them.  I received thank you emails, and others came to me for advice.  We would walk into the cancer centre, walk down the hall and take a seat while we waited to see the doctor. Many times we would be sitting only a few minutes before we’d see someone with a question, looking worried, or near a breaking point. Reaching out with a kind word, smile or offer of help came natural to us. These moments proved to me that others were hungry for learning how to handle a cancer diagnosis, especially as the caregiver.  I knew I had to find a way to help them.

Writing the book has been a valuable piece of my healing. I cried more tears than I thought possible. It was finished with a feeling of comfort, knowing that by sharing my story, the lessons I learned, and asking a few questions, other caregivers will become empowered to find ways to live their life, with peace, hope, and joy. 

The book release celebration is on Saturday, April 5, 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. at Loft 3 Design, 632 3rd Street, Medicine Hat.  If you are in the area, please come and enjoy some refreshments and buy a book at the special launch price. I look forward to meeting you and signing your book.

If you aren’t in the Medicine Hat area or able to come to the launch, copies of the book will also be available in various locations in the city and on Amazon.com in early April.  To pre-order your copy, please contact me.


No comments:

Post a Comment